A two-year-old girl has been hospitalised for vitamin deficiencies, thought to have been brought about by a poorly implemented vegan diet.
The girl was admitted in a serious condition to Istituto Giannina Gaslini, a children’s hospital in Genoa, Italy. She was kept in intensive care for several days, but is now showing signs of recovery.
The child’s parents are also vegan and strictly controlled her diet, La Repubblica reported. In addition to being raised on a strict vegan diet, the girl was also breastfed by her mother while she was on the same diet, resulting in less nutritious breast milk.
After the girl became ill, her parents took her to hospital on the advice of local doctors.